Golf Course Information
The Glen Club, designed by renowned golf course architect Tom Fazio, is a remarkable feat of engineering.
For over 70 years, the land was used as a Naval Air Base complete with runways and a total elevation change of three feet. Today, the land has been beautifully transformed into a dynamic terrain with rolling berms, stunning vistas and naturally harmonious transitions.
The routing features dramatic elevation changes – up to 40 feet on certain holes – mature trees and natural areas, meandering lakes and flowing streams. There are 75 acres of prairie grass flowing naturally throughout the layout.
Each of the spectacular par 3’s face a different point on the compass. The par 5’s are big and bold yet contain ample driving zones and generous bailout regions. The par 4’s range from short and sweet to long and tough. Many elements of a superb Fazio design are here and offer a challenge in many forms, from the classic perched greens undercut by bunkers to the awesome peninsula greens menaced by water.
The finishing 18th hole is one of the most picturesque on the course with two water features and strategically placed bunkers that demand accurate tacking from one safe area to the next. Walking off the 18th green will leave a lasting impression of a spectacular test of skill in an environment that offers an array of memorable golf holes.
Golf Digest ranks him one of the top ten golf course architects of all time. Golf Magazine calls him the best architect of his generation. And his peers have voted him "Golf course Architect of the Year" on three separate occasions. Indeed, with The Glen Club, Tom Fazio has worked with KemperSports to bring a new level of excitement and natural beauty to the Chicago golf experience.
"Keeping the area's rich history in mind," relates Fazio, "we had a unique opportunity to create the features and topography from scratch."
His design includes dramatic elevation changes, mature urges and natural areas, meandering lakes and flowing streams, as well as four tees to challenge - irresistibly - every level of play.
The Genius of Tom Fazio, the Commitment of KemperSports
The Glen Club opened in 2001 and immediately made history. No other course in the U.S. has ever been named to all three Top 10 New Course lists published by Golf Digest, Golf Magazine and Sports Illustrated. Other accolades followed, including a current place on Golf Magazine's list of the Top 100 Courses You Can Play, “Best Course in Illinois” by Great Lakes Golf and inclusion in Great Golf Resorts of the World. Before the club opened, it was selected home of the Illinois Golf Hall of Fame and the Illinois Open.
“Because The Glen Club is constructed on the former Glenview Naval Air Station, we had the unique opportunity to create the features and topography from scratch. The result is a visually stimulating design in the classic tradition, with beautiful, rolling fairways and harmonious transitions.”
“After adding 4,000 trees and moving 2.4 million cubic yards of earth, the Tom Fazio design has the best par-3s in the state.”
“Not since he waved his arms and said 'abracadabra' at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas has Tom Fazio conjured up a golf course from a blank slate. The transformation of runways to fairways was miraculous”
- Chicago Golf Report - No. 5 - Top Ten Elevated Tee Shots in Chicago - 2019
- Golf Magazine - No. 2 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2017
- Golf Magazine - No. 90 - Top 100 Course You Can Play - 2017
- Best Businesses - 2016 Best Business of Glenview Award (Golf category)
- Chicago Golf - No. 2 - The Best Illinois Golf Courses in 2016
- Golfweek - No. 13 - Best Courses You Can Play 2016 - Illinois
- GolfWeek - No. 4 - GolfWeek's Best: State-by-State Courses You Can Play 2015
- Golf Magazine - No. 2 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2014
- Golf.com - No. 2 - Best Public Golf Courses in Illinois - 2014
- Golf Magazine - No. 78 - Top 100 Course You Can Play - 2014
- Golf Week - No. 4 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2014
- Golf Advisor - No. 2 - "Local's Picks: The 10 Best Golf Courses in the Chicago Area 2014
- Golf Magazine - No. 4 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2013
- Golf Magazine - No. 2 - Best Public Course in Illinois - 2012
- Golf Magazine - No. 72 - Top 100 Courses You Can Play - 2012
- GolfWeek - No. 2 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2012
- PGA Tour - No. 2 - Chicago's Top 10 Public Golf Courses 2010
- GolfWeek - No. 3 - Best Courses You Can Play in Illinois - 2010
- Golf Magazine - No. 72 - Top 100 Courses You Can Play - 2010
- GolfWeek - No. 24 - Best Tour Courses You Can Play - 2008
- GolfWeek - The Best Courses You Can Play 2006-7
- Golf Magazine - Top 100 Courses You Can Play 2002, 2004, 2006
- Zaget Survey - America's Top 50 Golf Courses 2003-2005
- Golf Illinois - No.1 - Chicago's Top 10 Golf Courses for 2002
- Golf Digest - Best New Upscale Public Course 2002
- Golf Magazine - Top 10 New You Can Play 2002
- Great Lakes Golf Magazine - Best Course in Illinois 2002
- Sports Illustrated - Top 10 New Courses 2001